No products in the cart.
On January 9, 1861, cadets from the South Carolina Military Academy, known today as The Citadel, arguably fired the first shots of the Civil War when they prevented the Star of the West from resupplying Union troops at Fort Sumter. Above their battery on Morris Island, the cadets flew a red banner emblazoned with a white palmetto and crescent presented to them by the family of local flagmaker Hugh Vincent. Although the event was largely forgotten after the war, an image of the flag was included in a mural celebrating the centennial of the battery’s action at The Citadel’s Daniel Library. Its legend now re-established, the icon’s popularity grew and in 1992 it was declared the school’s official Spirit Flag.